Thursday, February 20, 2014

Using Stars for Cider Journal

For this week's WTUI Challenge, Sabrina is challenging us to use stars.  I took the opportunity to get a start on this sort-of joke of a book.  My neighbor and husband keep telling me that I need to keep a log of all the different hard ciders I'm trying.  I'm so excited to say that there are a TON of new companies bottling hard cider.  My husband is even going to make me some this summer!  So, I began my journal!
I chose a 5" Smash book and decided not to gesso it.  Not really sure why, just wasn't feeling the gesso.  I used two colors of Silkz by Splash of Color and Traditional Tan by Ranger, and blended them all with some water.  It ended up like this:

Next, I took 3 colors of Gelatos by Faber-Castell, colored on this OLD Unity stamp, and spritzed it with water.  I stamped multiple times with this Tattered Stars stamp, and it looked like this:

I sprayed the whole thing with Kraft Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels, because it's my favorite crutch on the planet! Since Sabrina's challenge was about stars, and you couldn't really tell those were stars that I stamped, I had to pull out my trusty washi tape!  I also added some Tim Holtz paper tape with calendars, because this journal is chronically time.  The final product looked like this:

I'm debating writing "Cider Journal" on the cover, but I'm scared about messing up my pretty work!  In any event, I hope you come play along!  I just went to Binny's and filled a 6-pack with different ciders, so the journal will be getting some use coming up.  I found an article to remove the labels from the bottles, so I can put them in my journal.
So I did it... I added a title to the front, and I did AWFUL!

This is why I don't title.  But, never fear, gesso to the rescue!  I gesso'd over the horrible attempt at a title, and played some more with even more stuff...

You can still see where I gesso'd over the title, but I'm going with it.  I even added another Star using a Sizzix die for a stencil and Distress Paint by Ranger for the WTUI challenge.  I put a bunch more Glimmer Mist on it, so it was tough to get a good photo.  To get the little blue drops, I used a paint brush with the Glimmer Mist instead of the spray nozzle (because it wasn't working properly, and I was impatient :) ).    Here it is from the side...

I couldn't get a good photo, but I used Distress Ink to stamp the glass rings image by Bo Bunny (shown in front of my water cup below) in the bottom right and upper right corners.
And my final product:

I told you I used a bunch more stuff!  I sealed the journal this morning, so no more chance of messing up!
Stay tuned for more...

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...